Sunday, January 11, 2009

How well do you treat yourself?

I just want to quote Cristin from "Eat Like Me" -

"As busy as we all are I think it is important to always take a little time on the weekend to do something for yourself that makes you feel good. It always helps me to get through another work week if I have something I am looking forward to on the weekend!"

It's really difficult for me to "treat" myself well. Sometimes I feel I'm not "worth" it or I feel guilty because why am I splurging on myself when my mom is out working, especially in this dire economy? I get tired of making my meals everyday and just wanted to 'buy' a meal. While my right brain tells me to just do it - bring your favorite magazine and sit in a restaurant to enjoy a nice lunch, but then my left brain would rationalize the cost of the meal and the money I could be saving instead. This see-saw argument is really stressful. Is it so difficult to love yourself sometimes?

2 comments:

Yvo Sin said...

I am the kind of person who treats myself extremely well. I do splurge on some things (I just bought Harry & David pears... just for me... but they were on sale and came out to $2.80/lb so really, that's not so much more than at the store, I think?) but mostly when I eat, I try to eat things only that I would relish eating. Many nights when I am too tired to cook or think about cooking, I make myself miso udon and add a ton of accoutrements (frozen dumplings, shiitake mushrooms, fresh veggies, whatever I can find) but I arrange it prettily and take a picture because I'm proud of what I've done for myself. Probably sounds a little indulgent, but it really does make me happy to know that I've bothered to take the time to make sure I eat and eat well. There are other examples of what I do for myself but I'll stick to food :)

Gar said...

That's awesome Yvo. I read your food journeys on your blog and you give some really insightful opinions on some of the places you've visited. :) Since I don't dine out a lot, I too would splurge on pricier produces because they're going into my body, thus it's worth it in the long run. When I'm too tired to cook, I like to make a yogurt parfait, lol. I like to have a sweet ending to my looong day.