Thursday, January 8, 2009

Beans


As a semi-vegetarian, I'm so glad I love beans! They are a great meat-substitute and provide protein, vitamins, and other nutrients. Now, like most busy people, I also often resort to canned or frozen beans, but actually, if you've a pressure cooker, cooking dried beans is quite easy and the texture and flavor are definitely much better. Don't worry about having lots of leftover. You can easily freeze cooked beans too! I just found that out. Check out this website for more info - http://www.centralbean.com/cooking.htm


Do you have a favorite bean? I love them all, but I think since I'm a hummus addict, chickpeas are probably my stable, but when I make sweet bean soup (yes! beans can be made into desserts too!), I like to use azuki beans (red beans), mung beans, and black-eyed peas. Though just name any bean, I would still love it. Luckily, my gastro system can take the ahem ahem, gas, so I've no need for Beano. :)


2 comments:

Nicole said...

Chickpeas are definitely my favorite bean as well! I can't get enough. I love them in hummus, on salads, but my top favorite use for chickpeas is as a meat substitute in tacos!

The green tea cupcake recipe I used is a fabulous recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. If you want, I could email it to you!

Anonymous said...

butter beans!