Friday, August 21, 2009

Turkish Tea (çay)


Turkish tea, also known as çay was my favorite beverage while on vacation there. As I'm used to the American version of drink quantity (big cup of tea, big mug of coffee, big gulp of soda...), I was at first mystified by the small glass of tea when the weather there is so hot. How could one quench thirst with just 2 sip of caffeinated liquid? Then I learnt the beauty of savory and patience. Yes, one can discover wisdom by the art of tea drinking.

Turkish tea is served in a tulip-shaped glass along with a stainless steel spoons and exactly two sugar cubes. I don't like to sweeten my tea, but most Turkish do stir in both cubes. As I delicately sip the hot beverage, I soaked in the remaining heat from the early blazing sun along with the late evening breezes. Although I would welcome another glass of tea, I was surprised satisfied with just one. Rarity is bliss sometimes.

10 comments:

Jessica@FoodMayhem said...

I thought the same thing about the weather and and hot tea. Did you have the apple tea too?

Gar said...

i didn't try the apple tea, but every salesperson said 'Americans' always love this tea. I just ordered the regular Turkish tea.

Erika Cilengir said...

I agree completely. I love Turkish black tea. You might be interested in my post: http://www.tching.com/index.php/2008/11/13/turkish-coffee-guess-again-turkeys-national-drink-is-tea/.

Gar said...

Thanks for leaving a comment Erika. I also enjoyed reading your article. Very informative.

lynn said...

i don't think i've ever had turkish tea! i love the glass.

Gar said...

Thanks for visiting my site. :) Since you're in NYC (like moi :P), just hit up a Turkish restaurant to get your fix. :) Let me know!

Jessica@FoodMayhem said...

When we were in Kusadasi, Turkey, all the stores were offering apple tea to customers in the same glass you have in your pic. It's almost impossible to politely decline.

Gar said...

I know. Turkish people are so friendly! I checked out this restaurant and even though I decided not to stay, the owner still offered me a cup of tea. Can't we have that in NYC? :P

Jamie Walker said...

I LOVE TURKISH TEA! When I was in Istanbul, I would sit in the tea houses for hours on end. I literally could not get enough of the stuff!

Gar said...

@ Jamie,

Same here. But I think I'll need several glasses of this wonderful tea. :)