Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Turkish sweets


Now how can you have tea without a little 'something something'? To end our last evening in Istanbul on a 'sweet' note, we left the dinner restaurant and hit up a more local cafe to get our sugar fix. There was an array of Turkish sweets, such as the ubiquitous baklava, kadayif ((made from shredded pastry baked in syrup) or lokma (deep-fried lumps of batter served in syrup). We chose a pistachio kadayıf.

You see how small it is as my sweetie rested on the snow-white plate?? You don't usually order 'just one', but I just wanted a taste not a sugar rush at that hour. This two bite miniature is just perfect for my two sip Turkish tea. As I savored the last moment while looking out on the evening street, I recalled the warm hospitality in the smaller Turkish city and luscious history this country is built on.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I always need to finish my meal with something sweet, but like you said, it just needs to be a taste. My favorite is just a piece of dark chocolate.

Pistachios and Cashews are my favorite nuts. I would have enjoyed this treat.

Gar said...

Thanks for visitin Amy. I usually like to end my meal with a piece of fruit, but when in Rome, eat like the Romans, right? :)

My favorite nut is almonds, but somehow, I prefer peanut butter over almond butter.