Saturday, April 4, 2009

Chickpeas...chickpeas...

Like we often shorten or alter our first name to fit it into our personality, like calling someone Trish instead of Patricia or Joe instead of Joseph. The former name is more approachable, whereas the latter is more formal and 'serious' shall I say? So that's how I feel when I speak of chickpeas. Their other name is garbanzo beans and that just sounds just...'beany', but chickpeas...it's like, awww...what a cute name! Surprised to know that this amazing bean packs a bunch of nutrients!


Chickpeas (yes, I prefer to use their cutie name instead) are a good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber, which prevents blood sugar levels from rising too rapidly after a meal, making them a good choice for individuals with diabetes, insulin resistance or hypoglycemia. Chickpeas hey are great at lowering cholesterol too! When combined with whole grains such as rice, garbanzos provide virtually fat-free high quality protein.
How do you use your chickpeas? Well, you can:

- Purée them along with olive oil, fresh garlic, tahini and lemon juice to make a quick and easy hummus spread.
- Sprinkle them to your favorite salads for added protein.
- Stir in some into your pasta dish.
- Simmer them in a sauce like dal.
- Add them to a vegetable soup to make it even heartier!
I've mentioned that I looove hummus; unfortunately, I have to face the fact that it was a phase that has passed. Now, I just love to soak dried chickpeas and when they're cooked, I'd just pop them like popcorn! What a wierd habit of mine! If this style is too bland for you, you can sprinkle some fresh herb and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil for an extra kick.

No comments: