Sunday, April 19, 2009

Organic Hemp Clothings


This is non-food related writing.


I know we hear a lot of the benefits of hemp seeds, but aside from eating organic, people are starting to pay more attention to going organic with their clothings.


Today, I was at the Go Green Expo NY. It was really cool. Lots of exhibitors were there to promote their go green products and services. Many samples were given, such as organic chocolate (!), organic drinks, organic vitamins, enviromental organization messages were provided...the word of choice is...ORGANIC.


I stopped by one booth that featured a shop that sells organic clothings. I couldn't afford the more expensive items, but I did spot the $10 piles and got a deal on a half hemp/half organic cotton T-shirt. I've never bought a hemp shirt before because it's always very expensive, so I'm glad I got this special deal.


So what IS hemp when it's tied in with the clothes you wear? Well, here's a little background...


Hemp is an extraordinary fiber because:


- It is lightweight, absorbant and, with three times the tensile strength of cotton, strong and longlasting.
- It is UV and mold-resistant.
- I can be blended with other fibers, such as cotton and silk, so it is very compliable.
- it is less expensive to farm because of its minimal growth requirements.

And last, but not the least...


Hemp farming uses very little water and requires almost no pesticide, so it's good for the environment, which benefits us in the long run.


So? Have you gotten your hemp shirt today?

No comments: