Saturday, January 23, 2010

Ikebana


Something not food-related.


Although I love to bake, I don't consider baking as one of my hobbies. It's just something I do when an event comes up or if I just 'felt' like being in the kitchen (and to remember to scrub down the kitchen really well afterward). I have (or had) other hobbies, such as photography, painting and music, but the first two became too expensive for me. Another art that I wished I had more time and money for is ikebana. I don't want to be great in it, just something I can do to ground myself once in awhile. There's a certain aesthetic element to a floral arrangement. It's not all spontaneous, but particular attention must be given to maintain balance and harmony. I came around a school that offered a free class (while I just had to pay for the material). I jumped at that chance to have my first ikebana experience. During that hour and a half of class, my mind focused only on how to beautify the space of the flower pot. The instructor showed me the different styles and certain 'rules' that one has to follow, but they all made sense because in the end, the arrangement came out beautifully. Although I couldn't carry the final product with me, I took a photo of it as a memory before I headed out of the classroom, down the stairs and out into the real world.

4 comments:

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

Where was this? Are they still offering free classes?

Gar said...

It was a grand opening offer awhile ago.

Faith said...

Hello and thanks for stopping by my blog! I 've always though flower arrangement sounded like so much fun! Your photo is lovely.

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

boo