Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Crunchy Food Texture...the Amazing Sprouts


We often only discuss food flavors (salty, sweet, sour, bitter, spicy...), but the texture of food is just as critical to our eating experience. There are probably tons and tons of adjectives you can use to describe food, but as a starter, I'll begin with some:
"Soggy, crispy, crunchy, slimy, al dente, hard, tough, fibrous, delicate..."
Well, the list goes on and on. Of course, certain food pairs well with a particular texture, such as a crispy French fry, or al dente linguine; simultaneously, we try to avoid or prevent certain food that reflects a texture that contradicts its nature, like a soggy pizza, a hard chocolate chip cookie or a slimy steak (gross!)

At the end of the day, if I had to pick my favorite food 'texture', I would have to say crunchy, hence my default fruit is always an apple, my favorite meal is always a plate of fresh, raw greens with carrots, and recently, I've been very into eating sprouts. They are a nutritious powerhouse because they're basically beans and seeds and we know how healthy they are to our diet. I used to buy them from the health market, but they can be quite expensive. So, I ordered some seeds online and decided to sprout my own. It's really not that difficult. It's like caring for a plant. You soak them, rinse them and watch them grow! The process takes about 3 days (depending on the seeds/beans), but it's so worth it. They are a wonderful addition on salads, in sandwiches, or just as a snack!

4 comments:

Faith said...

I can't believe it only takes 3 days to make sprouts! I've been thinking about making them and I had no idea it was such a quick process...great info!

Gar said...

Yea! Definitely give it a try! Let me know how it goes. :)

MJC said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I replied more to your comment in my post. :)

Gena said...

Way to sprout! Looks like your efforts paid off :)