Friday, June 19, 2009

Homemade granola


Walking down the cereal aisle in a supermarket, you'd be confronted with an array of cereal boxes and different flavors of granola. Vanilla, chocolate, or cinnamon is just some of the choices out there. But as I'm becoming more conscious about the ingredients, I'm starting to react to the excessive among of 'additions' manufacturers add to the the supposedly harmless oats. Canola oil? Sugar? Salt? Tons of sweetened dried fruits and chocolate bits? That's nice downing a dessert, not a healthful grain. So, I like to make my own version of granola and it doesn't take long at all! Heck, I even burnt mine because I left it in the toaster oven for too long.


I keep the ingredients and process really simple and of course, you can add in any items you like as well! I mainly use old-fashioned oats (of course), wheat flakes, flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds and sliced almonds. Then I add in a teaspoon of olive oil, a tablespoon of maple syrup, a dash of cinnamon and a sprinkle of brown sugar and bake for about 10 minutes at 350 F and remember to check on it and mix it around so everything is nice and toasty. Then coconut shreds and some dried cranberries are tossed in at the end. And Viola! Add some yogurt, milk, or almond milk and you got yourself a really delicious, guilt-free breakfast, snack, or even dinner! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jessica@FoodMayhem said...

I love granola with fresh fruit and Greek yogurt. It's my go-to for lunches when I'm in a rush.